[Valid Atom 1.0] BarbaraEllen: Friday 'Fessional: I Am Rich.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday 'Fessional: I Am Rich.

I Am Rich.

I have some--hm--complexities. I'm frequently ill. I've had huge life changes throughout the past 4 years & particularly this year. I'm always getting dumped. My dog is sick. I have a M.S. degree in a field where I don't work, was working part time making minimum wage at one point, & was unemployed for a time longer than I anticipated at another. 



And. Every single night, before I go to bed, no matter my circumstance, I remind myself of 3 extremely important things. Three very large things that probably a very small percentage of people on this earth & in this nation have.


I am safe.
I know my family is safe.
I know that I can contact anyone in my family at this moment right now.

These 3 things, I remind myself that I have. That many do not. I remind myself for a few reasons.
  1. Because they seem like or should be basic needs, when in reality, they are privileges. I am privileged. 
  2. Because when I think of those who do not have one or all of these things, I am inclined to describe that person or group of people as the other. Which, in return, implies that they are separate from me & I, from they. But, in reality, we are the same. The ideas of love and security that underly the concept of family can only come from one source of good. And so, in reality, I am never far from not being/having any of these. I am rich.
  3. Because these three things provide me the basic nourishment in my soul to make me healthy  and whole. Which does not mean that I cannot be healthy or whole if I do not have them. But it does mean that, no matter what other negative thing transpires around me, I am healthy and whole in this area. I am well.
As you might imagine, reminding myself of this night after night after night can lose meaning. Grow trivial. Feel insipid. When that happens, I say it even louder. Inwardly, to myself. Louder. Because this will always be important. It will be most important on the days when I least need it. It will be most important on the days when our entire nation most needs it. It is always important.

If I have this, I am rich. I need nothing else. 

And reflect from the mountain til all souls can see it.
And I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinkin'.
But I'll know my song well before I start singin'.
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, 
And it's a hard 
It's a hard rain's, a gonna' fall.

♥ .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not your typical BarbaraEllen ... but still be constructive. Creative also welcome! xo.